Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The truth about recording speed runs.

For most people, it's just a process of hurry up and wait.


But since I got my PVR, it seems like there's a lot less hurry up and a lot more waiting, lol.

And while I'm at it, let me elaborate a bit more on the waiting part.  It's inspired me to include some of the "waiting" events that go on until the "hurry up" part is complete... if... you know what I mean...?  Yeah, I wanna throw in some speed run BLOOPERS/FAILS, call it what you'd like.

Most people just throw in speed runs of them doing a godlike run and I notice the comments in some of these videos, people ask, "How long did it take you to do that?"  I don't think anyone really wants to answer that, however, I don't want to give people the impression that it's easy for everyone.  It's like when I was playing Capcom fighters for the past few years (I'm on hiatus atm).  People I played with in person would often tell me, "To be good, you really have play this game everyday."  When it comes to Sonic and speed runs - I feel that sentence rings true (even moreso for Sonic than Ultimate Herp vs Derp 3.)  Well, that's probably the case because more information about how those games work down to the frame is talked about and recorded for the purpose of competitive play, and this has been going on for quite some time.  Everything I've learned about speed running within the hedgehog and havoc engines has come from paying close detail to other speed runners and trial and error on my own with a little bit of level breakdown of finding what you can and can't do.  Unlike fighting games, I don't have much in the way in terms of fundamentals, though I assume that list is much shorter here.

I realized that I'm not really recording speed runs to be competitive as I really don't think I'm all that great at it.  The best part about recording is just getting the opportunity to put together a video of Sonic running to some music.  Is that all?  I think that's just the start.

Should be asleep by now, but I've got my next speed run video coming up.  Still have to further explore the music options.

No comments:

Post a Comment