Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Just when I thought I was done with Ep2... and Let's Play?



(Thanks, Kokonoe.)






Seeing how I forgot to publish this post many stars ago (meh, I'd say roughly 6 hours+ ago) and I just got done playing through Generations, I think I'll share some of my thoughts of the game.

No, it wasn't me practicing or recording for a speed run.  This time, I thought for the second time since I've owned the game (which was on it's Xbox/PS3 release date in the US) I decided to run through the entire game from start to finish.  While in the midst of playing, it had made me wonder if I should saturate YouTube with my own "Let's Play" of it.  I honestly have no idea how that would even work out.  Pulling off commentary for instance - I'm not that big on the idea of performing it, but I do appreciate it when I know it could be helpful (and I won't be vulgar or say completely unnecessary things).  However, I don't think I'm that great at explaining things verbally.  Reason why I'd do it is because from start to finish, I must say, it is a very enjoyable game (didn't die to Time Eat once! *success kid image*).   It wasn't as enjoyable running casually as Sonic Colors was, and I mostly feel this way because I don't get a kick out of classic Sonic in Generations.  The best way to sum up Classic Sonic's gameplay is this: It is a slightly dumbed down version of the classic games.  It's not bad.  I'll gladly take this form of 2D gameplay over Sonic 4 in a Sonic second.  It has the fundamentals down pretty good, but I can't help but feel like the Generations version comes off as a whole, a gimmick.  It's much too simplified for me to take seriously.  Although the 3D/modern gameplay technically is a dumbed down version of Daytime Unleashed, for me it's offers some refinements to make up for it. Things such as the new level design and a Sonic that's easier to maneuver (for better or for worse, this one actually STOPS when you want him to) is something I can appreciate but I'm sure was a given.  I'm not praising the controls of Generations.  If you play Generations hard enough, you will eventually realize that sometimes the controls don't want to work and all you can really do is find ways to work around them next time.

Well, LPing the game is not really something to consider, but just a thought.  Come to think of it, I'm sure what would be even more appreciated would be LPing Sonic Unleashed HD because I don't think there are any HD LPs of the entire game on YT... at all, and if there are any, there aren't many.  However, I really suck at the game.  Like Generations, I've only ran through it twice and I don't find the game outside of it's Daytime stages all that entertaining.  The story is quite bland and I never really felt a sense of completion for beating the game (could be worse *coughep2cough*).  The werehog stages for me were just the worst gimmick in a Sonic game I've experienced.  Still, the game is aesthetically charming to the point one can only yearn for more... or if you're like me, personally would just wife Sachiko Kawamura. Don't know who she is?  She created one of the most loved and hated things in the Sonic franchise.


Yep, the Chao.


But yes, she is why Unleashed (and Generations) look as amazing as they do on your PS3/360.  I just checked YT and there aren't too many Sonic Unleashed LPs.  Well, that's definitely an option.  Even though the game is shunned by many reviewers, many fans... even Sega themselves, it was a step in the right direction from the previous main series game.

Between Unleashed, Colors and Generations, Unleashed seems to be favored among speed runners and it's really not difficult to see why.  Generations is still a game meant to be played hard, and Colors?  Yeah, not so much.  I see so many TAS runs on it.  It's difficult to appreciate TAS runs.  Entertaining, they can be... yes... but, it's like watching a robot that knows exactly how to do perform everything and it winds up being better than human play.  The sense of challenge seems to be dumbed down.

Wooo, this has gone on for too long and it's quite late... so I better stop while I still can.  Oyasumi~

No comments:

Post a Comment