Wednesday, May 16, 2012

City Escape Act 2 Speed Run


Yeah, I could at least make it to 2:05.

It's been a while since I've touched this stage and I think the challenging parts are hitting the speed pad while on the board over the house.  It's weird.  I don't want to say it randomly wants to send Sonic in various directions, but for the most part, I can control it.  Getting the most out of it seems to mean getting Sonic propelled far enough so that he lands early - that is kind of tricky.

Second challenge on foot during the 1st 3D section is the jump into the trick ring.  Not so much the jump itself, just placing Sonic in the right spot so that he can jump.  If he runs into the low wall to the left, it tends to fling him right into the springs and if you're over to the right, well you'll just run into a tree.  Not too difficult, though my particular jump was so high I landed in the ring.  Alternatively, I could've boosted early before I reached the peak height of my jump.  I just didn't expect it to go that high.

Third, the section before the first 360 just before the 2D transition. I try to avoid hitting ALL of the speed boosters except the last (which you have to hit) or second to last usually, so that's how it worked out.  That was due to the angle of the drift from leaving the grass area.  In fact, there are two rows of speed boosters after making that left from the grass and it seems like if you're gonna hit them, the left ones push Sonic faster.

The only challenging part about the 2D section is boosting immediately after killing the last enemy in 2D.  If you don't, you'll land on the yellow platform and that will just... not help.

In 3D, after hitting the springs, I could've boosted to the stairway immediately, but this was something I realized much later.

Like most stages in this game, the last bits are the least demanding and for now, it seems like luck if I don't get tagged while drifting from the gun truck (or maybe I'm not starting it early enough when I do get hit).  Definitely wanna remember to hold RIGHT when you do it.  Yeah, I missed a LOT of rings and twice I actually ran out of boost in that area while recording.

And holy crap that truck came CLOSE. O_O

And that concludes that.... !  Maybe I'll run it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment