Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sonic games I will always play.

Sonic The Hedgehog (1991) - I played this recently, and I was still discovering things which I at first didn't think were possible, but are.  It's fascinating.  I almost want to record an LP of it in spite of the fact I don't know the game that well.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - My least favorite of the Genesis titles, but without a doubt, I've played through this game more than it's predecessor and have familiar paths I took memorized.  What makes this game the least favored are the special stages.  Only once have I gotten all the Chaos Emeralds through the special stages and I didn't even do it legitimately. (Thanks, YouTube + Pause Button + Save Feature.)  As a kid, I abused the Super Sonic codes the most in this game.

Sonic The Hedgehog 3 - I honestly cannot enjoy Sonic 3 without Sonic & Knuckles.  The game alone probably has my least favorite stages in terms of their themes.  However, it does have my most favored Sonic animations and it gave birth to the best special stages.  I hated Ice Cap 1 because Sonic/Super Sonic could clip through the ground during the first slide.  Was pretty creepy for me as a kid.  Who could forget the horrendous effort it took to get the sound test/level select/debug code to work?  It was a party when I got the debug working...!

Sonic & Knuckles - I absolutely love the stage themes of this game... all of them (now that I think about it).  I loved Hidden Palace Zone with it's Death Egg poking through the ceiling and the Master and Hyper Emerald altars.  The enemy design was smarter than Sonic 3's.  The music was also better than Sonic 3's as well (don't worry, I love Hydrocity Act 2's music).  But again... I just can't bear to play it unless it's...

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - What I feel was the pinnacle of the classic Sonic experience.  Everything all of a sudden was better.  No more clipping through the floor of Ice Cap 1 among other bug fixes.  Tails was in Sonic & Knuckles.  I don't want to list everything that made this game legendary.  The Genesis series was just the best to watch go from Green Hill Zone Act 1, to Doomsday Zone.  At least you could access the sound test/level select with the S&K code.... though I don't remember how debug worked.  I rarely used it for this game.


What?  Only the classics?  I never mentioned Sonic Adventure 2 on any of my lists.  Adventure 2 is probably going to become a game that I won't play again for much longer because I swear, the last time I played it, the only sense of enjoyment I could get out of it was running the forest stage with Shadow, and Sonic's last stage with all the grind rails.  I doubt that I would be interested in speed running those stages as I'm really not a fan of Adventure's controls.  It really is the most mediocre Sonic game that I've played.

No comments:

Post a Comment