Saturday, February 16, 2013

Let's uh... look at Sonic Generations?


So I had a friend who doesn't really enjoy the concept of speed running... for they try their hardest to enjoy the beauty and detail that's put into the game while the game is played at their fastest.  It's not something worth ridiculing, it's just that some people actually don't know what to look at when it comes to a game they do not play... naturally.  It's kind of like showing someone gameplay of an MMORPG they've  never played and almost everyone's interface is different and some are just cluttered with all sorts of incomprehensible shit.  You don't get what's going on or who's killing who, or who did that spell, let alone what that spell was or how much damage was done or how someone got 1-shot.  I get it.  Sometimes when you see something for the first time, you want to absorb the atmosphere slowly and possibly have some type of understanding at a reasonable pace how the game works.

One of my suggestions was to just focus on Sonic as he ran opposed to the surroundings he runs through at a few hundred miles per hour which proved effective, but I digress.  Generations without a doubt is a game worth slowing down and enjoying... to a certain extent.  I had always wondered why you couldn't turn the camera like you could in Unleashed, but once you reach the very last section of Green Hill 2 and can get the cam to rotate to see where you came from... okay, I get it.  Basically, not everything was made to be looked at going backwards.  For the most part, I think we can all be grateful to play a 3D Sonic game that has zero camera issues (at least I've heard of none).  Still, that doesn't stop someone from... stopping and smelling the flowers even if you can't see how it'll play out going backwards.

My friend was pleasantly surprised that I had made a 10 minute video of what's possibly the shortest stage in the game.  Well, that's not too surprising, is it?  After I made it, I tried thinking of all the things I could've shown off in 3D that were not alternate paths.  It had crossed my mind that I could make a second video that covered areas that I missed.  Is this something worth doing for the other stages?  Well, maybe.  Personally, it would all come out better if it was the PC version with it's superior textures.

And that's all I have.  Think I'll tinker with Jungle Joyride 1-2 for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment