Saturday, June 23, 2012

Happy 21st Birthday, Sonic.

I've liked Sonic since Sonic 1 and I have never, not once in my life ever within the 21 years of this franchise have celebrated his birthday.  Well... today is going to be different.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything all that spectacular to express my love for Sonic... well, neither did the people from The Sonic Show but I'd give them an A for effort.


Meanwhile, I'd been wanting to record this long before I had a PVR, long before the Spring season.  Long before 2011 as I found that out shortly after purchasing and playing this game on day 1.  I was just gonna upload the raw file with no music to it, but lately YouTube has started desyncing my MP4s.  Not too long ago I was uploading a bunch of OLD Super Street Fighter 4 matches I'd wanted to put on YouTube since 2010 and nearly every one of them failed to sync correctly.  Only one of them synced and unfortunately it wasn't even a real match.  No luck today with that either.  It sucks because eventually I'd love to upload some quality MP4s that I can edit in the future, but if I can't upload them with such quality, then I suppose there's no use worrying about it now.  However, I don't get it.  I'll never understand why I always have syncing issues.  I had them a long time ago when I had my first capture device and the quality was terrible.  Now it's just hit or miss.

Anyhoo, enough doom and gloom.  I hadn't really given it much time what I'd do today as I only considered recording stuff yesterday.  I thought perhaps I'd do something with Sonic CD thinking it was released in '92 so it would be on it's 20th anniversary, but it was actually released a year after Sonic 2 in '93.  Do something with Sonic 2?  No.  Sonic 2 is an awesome game of course, but it's really my least favorite between 1, CD, 2, 3&K.  Of course I could still do something with CD anyway, but I have the least amount of off the hand knowledge of the game unlike the Genesis titles.

There was one idea I had originally, and I had started on it already, however things aren't looking very promising with editing.  I'm also worried that I don't have enough content.  I really can't forsee the scope of it yet as it's just something that's gonna require more time I unfortunately don't have today.

Well, I'll figure something out.  My mind is so convinced that I need to record, record, record, but really... what I think I need to record probably isn't mandatory at all.

I decided to start recording in 1080i instead of 720p to see how it would work out.  I really didn't like the quality of the last speed run that I did.  It was recorded in 720p, but it was compressed pretty hard.  In fact, all of my videos post Sky Sanctuary wound up that way because I have to compress the MP4 into an MP2 so it can get edited in Windows Move Maker - and then it gets saved into a WMV file (more compression I assume) and it just looks bad.  I may have to look into better hardware soon, or recheck my options saving files in Movie Maker.  But how did recording in 1080i work out?  Since it's interlaced, there seems to be a bit more motion blur in the videos which I found extremely difficult to NOT notice when I was recording Unleashed.  For reasons beyond me, my PVR won't do 1080p.  The console flickers off and on until it just won't display it.  In spite of starting from a larger resolution, the quality of the edited video (as you can see from above) isn't really much different than from what I've been uploading.  Personally, I'm not much of a fan of this interlaced look along with the motion blur.  I might feel different about it in the future, but honestly, all that blur doesn't really help games like Sonic easier on the eyes when everything's moving so fast.  To watch, it's okay, but to play with... that's another story.

Okay, that was a useless rant, but I feel better~

No comments:

Post a Comment