Thursday, October 4, 2012

YEAH, SA2. YEAH.

I'm honestly not excited about the re-release of this game.  Sure it's deserving of it... and there is a great chance that I will grab it once it becomes available next week.  But to me... it's just SA2 in 16.9.

On the other hand, there is the Battle DLC upgrade, and the 2-player mode, which is probably... probably... something in a Sonic game, 90% or more people can say, "Fuck yeah!" about.  I never owned the GC version of the game, so after seeing it as I had the DC version... well, I felt somewhat, just somewhat shafted with the whole Chao aspect of the game.

The Dreamcast pretty much forced you to use it's Tamogachi-like memory card to play with your Chao.  It was also the only way you could view your pets stats, but the biggest drawback I experienced was simply the memory cards having a rare to occasional case of amnesia when abandoned.  Not necessarily talking about losing a Chao, but losing your save files.  Mmhmm.

Sonic Adventure 2 for me, did many things right and many things wrong.  Now, I'm actually not going to go into the wrong, but I will go into the right, starting with what I feel was SA2's greatest strength and that would be:

-The Soundtrack. The reason why I am going to get this game is because of the amazing soundtrack, lead by Senoue, but I give a lot of credit to the other people who contributed tracks here such as Kenichi Tokoi.  I mean, where Senoue is literally THE MAN with a guitar that will rock your world, Tokoi's music is great at being soothing or very mid-tempoed.  His work in SA2 really makes me think of how I'd expect Sonic music to sound through his stage themes for Rouge.  With Unleashed and Colors, I felt like he was able to bring those games alive, and though his music often sounds as if he literally wrote it while within the real-life atmosphere which inspires Sonic stages (such as Unleashed), I feel like his sound comes with such a dynamic feel to it.  If I hear Planet Wisp's theme and I'm playing Sonic Colors or Generations - yes, I am in Planet Wisp.  But if I am outside on a mid-late sunny afternoon where the grass is very much a dark green, under a cerulean sky, while this theme is playing... then I am very much outside on a mid-late sunny afternoon where the grass is very much a dark green under a cerulean sky... with my eyes open or closed.  That is what makes Kenichi Tokoi's music special.  His sound can be as much of a fantasy as it can be a reality.  However, I felt like most of his work after SA2, though excellent... was leaning a bit more towards reality... just a bit... and moreso in Unleashed than Colors.

-The Interface: Although this isn't something I feel is super serious, can we just... look back at the main series games for a sec.  All of them, from Sonic 1 to Sonic Generations.  Sonic Adventure 2's interface was beautifully dolled up in a variety of colors and simple shapes and awesome character art of course.  It makes SA1's interface look like something out of a 1980's Atari game.  Combined with an epic soundtrack, it might sound strange, but it was a pleasant experience just... going through the options of this game before beginning to play it, and it seemed even better in Battle.

-Sonic/Shadow Stages: Yeah... a huge improvement over SA1, but I just want to point out my favorite aspect in this game - rail grinding.  It has a sense of challenge when it came to balancing (now Sonic is so leveled up, he perfectly balances on it in Unleashed and up) and you get the most sense of speed... because just about everything else in SA2 feels pretty slow.  (I will add that the GC version felt like it played faster than the DC version).

-Chao: Sega may have deprived fans of a hub world, but I feel like the Chao gardens were a good enough escape from simply throwing a character into a stage and having to go through that stage that may or may not have feel interesting enough to replay.  Either you loved it, or you hated it.

Last but not least...

-Characterization:  Because the story sucked, but... this was a nicely fleshed out cast and most people felt like Sonic in this game was more "Sonic" than he's been as of late.  In short, he acted his age and had the attitude down vocally.  Two main series games before this one, he didn't need a voice to express his attitude, but it does seem like the current Sonic has... in comparison to SA2's... softened up a bit... okay, a lot.


... and everything else in SA2 is pretty much mediocre or bad... !  You know, I can honestly say that the only thing I'm really looking forward to from playing this (outside of Battle and 2-player) is... everything moving at 60fps from start to finish.  But I think I'll wait for some reviews... hmm... *goes to metacritic*

Score: 1- Bad experience over again... -terrible collision (you can bug this game many times). -Inconsistency in soundtrack (pure rock + vocal) - don't match with sonic. -Realism in Sonic world. But this is only the begin... Look the port of Sonic CD (better physics, tails extra, you can change soundtrack ). The SA2 don't have awesome extras. I need Sonic Generations and Sonic CD port again.

Score: 10 - i lyk plin a sanic i tink itas fun rolling in ball and runn fast through stages and i clear every act gam is in hd high definitnietion you can see the graphifcs sonic is blue angd he get the rings i give this gam 10 sanic hegehouds out of 10 for ggbeing good game very fun yes thbank you bye 

Score: 8 - i think sanic adventures 2 is a pretty cool guy, eh goes fast and doesn't afraid of anything GOTTA GO FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST GOTTA GOT FAST



Oh, Internet...~

No comments:

Post a Comment